The relationship with you and your mortgage broker or agent should be one of trust. Unfortunately there may be times when a consumer may have a complaint about their mortgage broker or agent. Many times there can be misunderstandings so makes sure before you get an mortgage broker or agent, communicate your expectations and should any problems or questions arise, discuss them immediately with the broker or agent. Mortgage brokers are regulated provincially so you can check with your provincial regulator on the website for the Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals. The organization also has an online directory that can help your search for a broker. What are the steps if you have a complaint? Step 1 – Contact the Mortgage Brokerage/Administrator to discuss your complaint. This is often the fastest way to resolve a complaint. Step 2 – We suggest you write to the Mortgage Brokerage/Administrator, asking for its final position in writing. Step 3 – If you are unable to resolve the complaint within a reasonable amount of time, or you believe the Mortgage Broker Law has been violated, contact your Provincial Government or if the Broker/Agent is an Accredited Mortgage Professional Member (AMP) with the Canadian , you can contact them directly. CAAMP Information CAAMP receives and handles complaints from both consumers and members. The complaints procedure is set out in CAAMP’s bylaws. Handling consumer and industry complaints is one of CAAMP’s most important functions. CAAMP’s National Ethics Committee (NEC) is responsible for the enforcement of complaints. For more information, visit the CAAMP Consumer Site. The Financial Services Commission of Ontario Licensing and Market Conduct Division Mortgage Brokerage/Administrator Complaints 5160 Yonge Street, 4th Floor, Box 85 Toronto, ON M2N 6L9 Phone: (416) 250-7250 or toll free at 1-800-668-0128 and ask for the Contact Centre. The Mortgage Brokerage is required by law to provide a written response to your written complaint. Real Estate Council of Alberta RECA is responsible for setting standards of practice for the real estate, mortgage brokerage and real estate appraisal industries. This role serves both the industry and the public: in order to create consumer confidence and trust in the industry it is essential to limit unethical and illegal practices. British Columbia Financial Institutions Commission FICOM has a process in place for investigating complaints and inquiries related to matters that fall within our mandate. All complaints are acknowledged and filed for tracking and statistical purposes, even in cases where follow-up action is not required. Saskatchewan Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority The Mortgage Brokerages and Mortgage Administrators Act describes the responsibilities, obligations and powers of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions. One of the responsibilities of the Superintendent is to investigate consumer complaints against brokers, associates, mortgage brokerages and mortgage administrators. Manitoba Securities Commission - Real Estate The real estate division is responsible for administering The Real Estate Brokers Act and The Mortgage Brokers Act. This division registers real estate brokers, salespersons, and mortgage brokers, monitors brokers' trust accounts, and investigates complaints against real estate brokers, salespersons and mortgage brokers. Nova Scotia Business and Consumer Programs Business and Consumer Programs is responsible for the following licenses issued by Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations. If you have a complaint about a business in one of the industries or a person who works in one of the industries listed below, please file it using the form found here Consumer Complaint Form. Service Newfoundland Real Estate and Mortgages Service NL is responsible for licensing real estate agents and handling and mediating complaints made against real estate agents and salespersons. In addition, Service NL handles and mediates complaints involving the actions of mortgage brokers and their staff. New Brunswick Consumer Affairs Consumer Affairs provides day-to-day enforcement and administration of a wide range of consumer legislation. PEI CONSUMER, LABOUR AND FINANCIAL SERVICES The Registrar administers the Real Estate Trading Act. Duties of the office include the licensing and regulation of all agents and salespersons active in the province. The office receives consumer inquiries and complaints and responds to each with information and/or intervention as required.